The Old House was built in 1767 and was the provincial mansion of the Collins family until 1796. Located on the Collins estate near Widows’ Hill, it was formally known as the first Collinwood. Joshua Collins was the patriarch of the last generation of Collins family members to be raised there (366). In1796, construction was completed on a larger family home on the same property and this would soon come to be known as the modern Collinwood, after which, the original family mansion began to be referred to as the Old House. With the passing of generations, this off-hand phrase became the official nomenclature for the regal estate and the new house was called “The Great House”.